WHAT IS GAMBLING?
- You have uncontrollable or intense desire to gamble....
- You regret how much you’ve spent or gambled after a session
- Gambling is getting in the way of your everyday life or relationships
- You find yourself becoming secretive about your gambling
- You’re struggling financially because of how much you gamble
It can feel like gambling is everywhere, from ads on the TV and internet, to the fruit machine at the pub. When you’re struggling with gambling, it can be hard to avoid. While some people gamble every now and again, the act of gambling can be very addictive and it’s estimated around 430,000 people in the UK have a gambling problem.
The anticipation and thrill of gambling can create a natural high that can become addictive and, with the internet now making gambling more accessible, there is a higher danger of gambling behaviours getting out of hand and leading to financial, emotional and relationship problems.
Whether you bet on sports, scratch cards, poker, or fruit machines — in a casino or online — problem gambling can strain relationships, interfere with work and lead to severe financial problems. With the right help, gambling addiction can be overcome. The first step is recognising and acknowledging the problem.